Ingredients350 g lean beef fillet cut into thin strips
1 onion halved and thinly sliced
1 large garlic clove finely chopped
300 g Swiss brown mushrooms thickly sliced
2 tablespoon dry sherry
1⁄3 cup (80 ml) diluted salt-reduced or homemade beef or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon cornflour
1⁄2 cup (130 g) light sour cream
2 teaspoon fresh thyme
pinch of grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground paprika
pinch of cayenne pepper
350 g tagliatelle
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Cook the tagliatelle in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the beef and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes until browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan, then reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and fry for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently until beginning to soften, then stir in the garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking for a further 3–4 minutes until tender. Stir in the sherry and cook for a few seconds, then add the stock.
4. Blend the cornflour with 2 teaspoons cold water in a small bowl or jug. Stir in the sour cream, thyme, nutmeg, paprika and cayenne pepper, then stir this mixture into the pan and cook until it starts to bubble. Return the beef to the pan and cook for a few more seconds to heat through. Season to taste.
5. Tip the tagliatelle into a colander over the sink and drain thoroughly. Add to the stroganoff mixture and gently toss together, then serve straight away.