- Quantity: 16 Makes
Ingredients4 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 whole stewing or roasting chicken (about 1 3/4 kg) cut into eighths, neck and giblet reserved, liver discarded
6 large carrots cut into slices
6 parsnips (about 875 g) cut into bite-size chunks
4 medium onions cut into bite-size chunks
4 sticks celery cut into bite-size chunks
1 turnip (about 500 g) peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
10 cup water
3 whole peppercorns
1⁄4 cup loosely packed coriander leaves plus 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
1⁄4 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
2 tablespoon curry powder
4 clove garlic minced
2 teaspoon cayenne pepper flakes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen peas
4 green onions thinly sliced
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the chicken, neck and giblets and cook for about 15 minutes, or until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the remaining drippings. Add half of the carrots, parsnips, onions, celery and turnip. Cook for 15 minutes. Add the chicken, water, peppercorns and half of the coriander and parsley. Cover and bring mixture to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour, or until chicken is cooked through.
3. Cool the chicken in the stock. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin. Tear the chicken meat from the bones and discard the bones. Shred the chicken meat and set aside.
4. Strain the stock through a colander and discard the solids. Rinse the stock pot and return the strained stock to the pot. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours, or overnight.
5. In a large frying pan or saucepan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add remaining carrots, parsnips, onions, celery, turnip, curry powder, garlic, cayenne pepper, ginger and salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
6. Meanwhile, skim off any congealed fat from the stock. Cover and bring the stock to the boil. Add cooked vegetables, chicken pieces and peas. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining coriander, green onions and lime juice. Remove from the heat and serve.