Chilli-Spiced Pumpkin Soup
Chilli-spiced pumpkin soup.
Photo: Reader's Digest
- Quantity: 4 SERVES
- Prep Time:
Ingredients2 slice wholemeal bread
85 g pepperoni sausage diced
1 large onion chopped
1 butternut pumpkin peeled, deseeded and chopped
1 green apple peeled, cored and chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
1 sprig of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1⁄2 teaspoon chilli flakes
600 diluted salt-reduced chicken stock
1. To make the croutons, cut the bread into small cubes, then gently cook in a large, dry, heavy-based saucepan until golden brown. Remove from the pan.
2. Put the pepperoni in the pan and fry gently for about 4 minutes until the fat runs off and the pieces are browned. Lift out and drain on paper towel, leaving the fat in the pan. Reserve the pepperoni for garnish.
3. Add the onion to the pan and fry gently in the pepperoni-flavoured oil for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
4. Stir in the pumpkin, apple, garlic, thyme and chilli flakes, cover and leave to cook on a very low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin is tender when tested with the point of a knife.
5. Remove the sprig of thyme and tip the contents of the pan into a food processor or blender. Add about half the stock and process to a smooth purée. (You may need to do this in two batches.) Return to the pan and add the remaining stock. Reheat gently and season to taste. Sprinkle with pepperoni and croutons before serving.