● You can scrub most types of outdoor furniture. Use a nylon-bristled brush that has been dipped in a bucket of warm water, to which a squirt of phosphate-free dishwashing liquid has been added. To rinse, wipe down with several clean, wet rags.
● Scrub wooden furniture and allow to dry. Sand lightly to restore the colour, then oil with a solution of 2 cups raw linseed oil and 1⁄2 cup natural turpentine.
● Wipe aluminium furniture with warm water and a dash of vinegar, and then dry. Don’t use ammonia or bicarbonate of soda, which can discolour aluminium.
● Regularly tighten the screws on wooden outdoor furniture.
● Act quickly to touch up any chips or scratches on metal and wrought iron furniture so it won’t rust.
● To prevent the growth of mould, be sure to keep cane and wicker furniture dry.