Fruity vegetable muffins
Fruity vegetable muffins.
Photo: Reader's Digest
Ingredients1 cup white self-raising flour
1 cup wholemeal selfraising flour
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2⁄3 cup caster sugar
1⁄2 cup dried mixed fruit or raisins
1 large carrot finely grated
1 medium zucchini finely grated
1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Using non-stick cooking spray, grease a 12-cup muffin pan (each cup should measure about 6cm across the top and be about 3cm deep).
2. Sift the two types of flour into a mixing bowl, then add the cinnamon and sugar. Next, stir in the dried mixed fruit or raisins, and make a well in the centre.
3. In another bowl, beat together the carrot, zucchini, oil and eggs. Pour this mixture into the well in the dry ingredients and stir until just blended; you may have a small amount of dry flour still visible in places.
4. Divide mixture among the muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until well risen, peaked in the centre and springy to the touch. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool.
5. Serve muffins warm or at room temperature. They’re best eaten on the day they’re made, but can be stored in an airtight container for up to two days – or you can freeze them for up to three months.