Lunch Today: Sweet Potato & Lime Soup
AUGUST 7, 2012, 3:15 PM
Over the weekend I made a big batch of this Sweet Potato and Lime Soup. As per usual, I tweaked the orginal recipe, to suit my palate and pantry, and to improve the nutritionals.
- I had loads of sweet potatoes, so I ended up making one and a half times the original recipe.
- The soup was first pointed out to me by Sophie of Mostly Eating, who also recommended increasing the ginger. Given the increased quantity I was making, I used a 10cm piece of ginger, finely chopped.
- It's a beautiful looking recipe, but to me a straight vegetable soup is not filling enough to count as a meal. So I added in a quarter cup of dried red lentils, together with the sweet potatoes and continued cooking as per the recipe. The red lentils add protein, fibre and low GI carbohydrates.
- Having no creme fraiche in the fridge, I used 150ml of coconut cream instead, which matched well with the ginger and lime flavours.
- Garlic is not in season, so I left that out.
- I didn't use stock, instead cooking the onions and ginger slowly and gently, to coax as much flavour from them as possible.
The finished soup is delicious, with lots of flavour and a thick texture. I've now had it for lunch two days in a row and the leftover portions are going in the freezer. I'll be making this again.
What did you have for lunch today?
And . . . apologies for the terrible photo!
Post A Comment
About This Blog
- September 2011 (14)
- October 2011 (12)
- November 2011 (13)
- December 2011 (12)
- January 2012 (14)
- February 2012 (10)
- March 2012 (12)
- April 2012 (13)
- May 2012 (10)
- June 2012 (13)
- July 2012 (11)
- August 2012 (11)
- September 2012 (12)
- October 2012 (11)
- November 2012 (12)
- December 2012 (12)
- January 2013 (12)
- February 2013 (12)
- March 2013 (12)
- April 2013 (12)
- May 2013 (11)
A blog about food, healthy eating, seasonal ingredients and how to eat well in a busy life.