- 3 tablespoons butter, plus melted butter for brushing
- 2 large onions, halved, then sliced
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) beef stock
- 5 cooked potatoes, thickly sliced
- 10–12 slices leftover cooked beef
- 1 cup (80 g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup (60 g) grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt half the butter in a small frying pan or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 4 minutes, or until soft. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute, then gradually add the stock, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens to a gravy. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 minute.
- Lightly brush a shallow baking dish with melted butter. Arrange the potato slices in the dish, then lay the beef slices over the potato. Pour the onion gravy over the top.
- In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, remaining butter and parsley. Sprinkle the mixture over the gravy and sprinkle with the cheese, if using.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20–25 minutes, or until the dish is heated through and the crumbs are golden brown.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 50 minutes