- 225 g butter, softened
- 1 cup (230 g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups (250 g) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup (125 g) butter, softened
- 2 cups (250 g) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- food colouring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, using electric beaters.
- Add the vanilla, then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift the flour into the mixture. Using a plastic spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the flour and milk until combined.
- Spoon the batter into 12 patty cases, filling them two-thirds full. Bake the cupcakes until golden, about 15 minutes. Turn the cupcakes out onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar in a bowl using electric beaters until well creamed, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and food colouring, if using, mixing until combined.
- Ice the cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.