- 750 g baking (floury) potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 eggwhite
- 4 firm white fish fillets, about 150 g each
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or aioli
- 3⁄4 cup (60 g) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 teaspoons butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley,
plus extra sprigs to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Gently cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain, then dry thoroughly with paper towel. Cut each potato lengthwise into slices about 2 cm thick, then cut each slice into two or three thick wedges.
- Brush a non-stick baking tray with some of the oil. Beat the egg white until frothy. Toss the chips in the egg white, gently shake off any excess, then spread out on the baking tray. Bake for 35 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the fish. Use the remaining oil to oil another non-stick baking tray. Place the fish fillets, skin side down, on the baking tray and spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise or aioli over each fillet.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, butter, parmesan, chives and parsley and season with salt and black pepper. Spread the crumb mixture evenly over the fish, pressing on gently. Bake the fish on the top shelf of the oven for the final 10–15 minutes of the chips' cooking time.
- Divide the fish and chips among serving plates, garnish with parsley sprigs and serve with lemon wedges.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes