Lamb Shanks Tagine
The slow method of cooking produces a depth of flavour and tenderness.
- 4 lamb shanks (1 kg), fat trimmed
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (400 g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 can (400 g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 8 kalamata olives
- 8 pitted prunes
- 2 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon (available from Middle Eastern and specialty food stores)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Combine all the ingredients in a large casserole dish (or a tagine, available from specialty food stores and some kitchenware suppliers), with a tight-fitting lid, and stir to mix well.
- Bake for 4 hours, then serve hot with couscous or brown rice.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 4 hours