- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 750 g orange sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250 g boiling (waxy) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups (1 1/4 litres) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 2–3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the sweet potato, potato, bay leaves and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Allow the soup to cool a little, then purée the mixture and gently reheat.
- Stir in the honey, lemon juice and salt and black pepper to taste. Serve sprinkled with the coriander.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes