- 1⁄3 cup (50 g) plain flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 kg veal shanks, cut into 5-cm-thick slices
- 1⁄3 cup (80 ml) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 410 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 3/4 cups (435 ml) chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel, to garnish
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the veal, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an oven-proof Dutch oven, brown meat in oil in batches on all sides, then drain.
- In a large frying pan, saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Return veal to the Dutch oven; top with vegetable mixture. Add the tomatoes, broth, basil, thyme and bay leaves.
- Cover and bake at 160°C for 2 to 2 1/4 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Just before serving, combine the parsley and lemon peel, and sprinkle over the veal.
Preparation: 35 minutes
Cooking: 2–2 1/4 hours