Spiced apple pies
Photo: Ian Wallace
- Quantity: 4 SERVES
Ingredients2 green apples unpeeled, but cored and thinly sliced
2 teaspoon mixed spice
2 tablespoon sultanas
3 tablespoon brown sugar
8 sheets filo pastry
2 tablespoon Olive Oil for brushing
100 g ricotta
Icing sugar for dusting
Natural yoghurt to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the sliced apple, mixed spice, sultanas and 2 tbsp brown sugar into a bowl. Mix together.
3. Working quickly, lay out two separate sheets of filo pastry and brush them both with olive oil. Place a second sheet of filo onto each and again brush with olive oil. Continue until you have two separate piles made of four sheets of filo each.
4. Cut each filo stack in half, widthwise, leaving you with four neat piles of layered filo.
5. Spread a quarter of the ricotta on the middle of each filo stack, then top with the apple mixture.
6. Fold in the sides so they overlap, brushing with oil to ensure they stick. Fold in the ends and brush with oil to seal.
7. Place each packet foldedside- down onto baking tray, sprinkle with remaining brown sugar, and place in oven.
8. Cook for 15 minutes until golden brown on top. Dust with icing sugar and serve with natural yoghurt on the side.
TIP: Filo pastry is delicate and does dry out easily, but a lot of recipes make it seem harder to use than it actually is. Pastry drying out slightly is rarely a problem.