THE 2014 SUPER JACKPOT
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The Super Jackpot is open to residents of Australia and New Zealand aged 18 years or older only who receive or access marketing communications via email, mail, telephone or online from the Promoter during the promotional period. The Super Jackpot opens on 01/01/14 and closes on 31/12/14.
- Employees (and their immediate families) of the Promoter and agencies associated with this promotion are ineligible to enter. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or 1st cousin.
- All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded. Throughout the Super Jackpot, the Promoter will conduct up to 48 ‘bonus increase’ offers. Bonus increase offers will only be sent to selected entrants. If an entrant receives a ‘bonus increase’ offer and responds to the material as directed, in the event that they are drawn as the winner of the prize to which the ‘bonus increase’ offer applies, they will receive the set prize plus the bonus outlined in the material (which could be up to quadruple the original prize value). The decision to increase any cash prize value, the amount of the increase and eligibility and qualification for the bonus increase offer will be totally at the discretion of the Promoter and will be indicated in the promotional material for the relevant prize draw. If an increased prize value has been advertised to a winning entrant, the Promoter will award that entrant the increased prize value, as advertised. For all other activities a winning entry will receive the stated prize value without the increase. If the Promoter decides to offer an increase in the value of any or all of the cash prizes, the total maximum potential value based on a maximum quadrupling of cash prizes would then respectively be increased to $3,132,800. In the case of any unclaimed cash prize, only the original cash prize (i.e. the cash prize without any bonus increase) will be distributed.
- The Promoter reserves the right to offer additional opportunities for entrants to receive bonus entries. Any such opportunities (and the relevant conditions and limitations) will be announced via the corresponding promotional material. The Promoter also reserves the right to offer entries into multiple prize draws on the one occasion. Any such opportunities (and the relevant conditions and limitations) will also be announced via the corresponding promotional material.
- Multiple entries are permitted (unless otherwise stated) provided each entry is on an original entry form (if entry is via entry form) and submitted separately. No facsimiles or copies permitted. Entries are not transferable. To be eligible, entries must be received by the applicable closing date. Additional deadlines apply to certain prizes including the bonus prizes and, based on postal guidelines, the Promoter allows one week for delivery and one week for return in addition to any deadline stated. In some cases where it will not be necessary to return an entry form in order to participate, specific mention will be made of that fact in the promotional material. All eligible entries will qualify and will have a fair and equal chance to win the prize to which they relate.
- Cash prizes will be awarded in the form of a cheque or by electronic funds transfer to the winner's nominated bank account. Cash prizes will be paid in the local currency of the winner. Prizes are not exchangeable or transferable.
- In the final stages, the Promoter will conduct the draws and the winners declared will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- All times specified in these Terms and Conditions are Sydney Australian times.
- In some instances, individuals will be able to enter the $4,000 Monthly Countdown to Cash prize draws via the ‘Countdown to Cash’ websites. Individuals can enter the $4,000 Monthly Countdown to Cash prize draws via the ‘Countdown to Cash’ websites by following the below instructions:
- To enter, eligible individuals must visit www.readersdigest.com.au/countdown2cash (Australian residents) or www.readersdigest.co.nz/countdown2cash (New Zealand residents) and follow the prompts to the promotional registration page, input the requested details (including a valid email address) and submit the fully completed registration form. Entrants can only register once.
- Once an entrant has completed the above steps and registered, they will receive an email from the Promoter each remaining day of the promotional period offering them an opportunity to receive an entry (“Email Entry”), including on the day that they register (which will also serve to confirm their registration). In order to claim the Email Entry (and confirm their registration on the first day they register), the entrant must follow the prompts in the email to visit the promotional website and input the requested details (including details of their email entry code) on the same day that they receive the Promoter’s email. Entrants are eligible to receive one (1) Email Entry into the upcoming $4,000 Monthly Countdown to Cash Prize Draw for each day of the promotional period, from and including the date of registration.
Once an entrant has completed the step outlined above, the Promoter may also offer the entrant further bonus entries if they follow the prompts to refer eligible friends and family. Entrants will be eligible to receive one (1) referral bonus entry (“Referral Entry”) into the upcoming $4,000 Monthly Countdown to Cash Prize Draw each day of the promotional period, provided that they refer at least one (1) friend/family member each day of the promotional period (by providing their friend’s/family member’s name and valid email address). Referral Entries are subject to the following conditions: (a) entrants will only be given the opportunity to refer friends/family members if they have completed the step outlined above; (b) there is a strict limit of one (1) Referral Entry per person per day, regardless of the number of friends referred on that day; and (c) each friend/family member can only be referred by an entrant once.
Entrants should only nominate friends, family, colleagues and other individuals who they have a direct relationship with, and who consent to receiving these types of messages. Entrants can only nominate/refer Australian and New Zealand residents aged 18 years or over.
- Individuals will also be eligible to enter the $4,000 Monthly Countdown to Cash prize draws in other ways, by following the instructions provided by the Promoter in the relevant promotional material.
- All prize draws will take place at Reader’s Digest, 80 Bay Street, Ultimo, NSW 2007 at 10:30am. The prize draws will take place on the following dates:
- Rush For Riches Prize Draw: 07/04/14;
- Tax-Free Windfall Prize Draw: 07/07/14;
- Big Bounty Prize Draw: 08/10/14;
- Grand Prize Draw (with Super Bonus): 09/01/15;
- Thank You Prize Draw (with Preferred Customer Bonus): 09/01/15;
- Prestige Payout: 09/01/15;
- Weekly $100 Prize Draws: 15/01/14, 22/01/14, 29/01/13, 05/02/14, 12/02/14, 19/02/14, 26/02/14, 05/03/14, 12/03/14, 19/03/14, 26/03/14, 02/04/14, 09/04/14, 16/04/14, 23/04/14, 30/04/14, 07/05/14, 14/05/14, 21/05/14, 28/05/14, 04/06/14, 11/06/14, 18/06/14, 25/06/14, 02/07/14, 09/07/14, 16/07/14, 23/07/14, 30/07/14, 06/08/14, 13/08/14, 20/08/14, 27/08/14, 03/09/14, 10/09/14, 17/09/14, 24/09/14, 01/10/14, 08/10/14, 15/10/14, 22/10/14, 29/10/14, 05/11/14, 12/11/14, 19/11/14, 26/11/14, 03/12/14, 10/12/14, 17/12/14, 24/12/14, 31/12/14 and 07/01/15; and
- $4,000 Monthly Countdown to Cash Prize Draws: 07/02/14, 07/03/14, 07/04/14, 07/05/14, 10/06/14, 07/07/14, 07/08/14, 08/09/14, 07/10/14, 07/11/14, 08/12/14 and 07/01/15.
- All winners will be notified in writing. Major prize winners will also be notified by phone, if they have provided their phone number upon entry. Winners of prizes valued at over $250, except those who have indicated otherwise, will be published in The Australian on 23/01/15. All winners of prizes valued at over $250 will have their names published on www.readersdigest.com.au and www.readersdigest.co.nz from the business day following the prize draw.
- The Promoter may conduct such further draws at the same time and place as the relevant original draw as necessary on 09/04/15 in order to distribute any prize unclaimed by that date subject, however, to any written directions from a regulatory authority. Winners will be notified in writing. Winners of prizes valued at over $250, except those who have indicated otherwise, will be published in The Australian on 13/04/15. All winners of prizes valued at over $250 will have their names published on www.readersdigest.com.au and www.readersdigest.co.nz from 13/04/15.
- For the Lucky Number Giveaway, 1000 numbers will be randomly selected before the Super Jackpot commences. Reader’s Digest’s Finance Director will retain the winning numbers in a security safe while the Super Jackpot is running. After the Super Jackpot closes on 31/12/14, the first winning number on the list will be released to the Prize Administrator who will verify that the participant who was issued the winning number has in fact returned it as directed and if so they will be awarded the Lucky Number Giveaway prize. If the first drawn winning number has not been returned, the Lucky Number Giveaway prize will be awarded to the next number from the list of 1000 numbers which has been returned as directed. If none of the 1000 pre drawn numbers have been returned as directed another 1000 numbers will be drawn at Reader’s Digest, 80 Bay Street, Ultimo, NSW, 2007 at 10:30am on 09/01/15 and matched against returned numbers until a winner is found. The first drawn number which matches with a number that has been returned as directed will be declared the winner.
- If any prize is unavailable, the Promoter, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize to the equal value and/or specification, subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority.
- Entrants consent to the Promoter using their name, likeness, image and/or voice in the event they are a winner (including photograph, film and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting this Super Jackpot (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by the Promoter.
- Subject to the unclaimed prize draw clause, if for any reason a winner does not take the prize, then the prize will be forfeited.
- The Promoter collects entrants’ personal information in order to conduct the Super Jackpot. If the information requested is not provided, the entrant may not participate in the Super Jackpot. By entering the Super Jackpot, unless otherwise advised, each entrant also agrees that the Promoter may use this information, or disclose it to other organisations that may use it, in any media for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes without any further reference, payment or other compensation to the entrant, including sending the entrant electronic messages. All personal details of the entrants will be stored at the office of the Promoter. Entrants’ personal information may be disclosed to State and Territory lottery departments and winners’ names published as required under the relevant lottery legislation. A request to access, update or correct any information should be directed to the Promoter.
- The promotional material, information on how to enter, the Official Prize List and the conditions of entry described in them form part of the Terms and Conditions.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions limits, excludes or modifies or purports to limit, exclude or modify the statutory consumer guarantees as provided under the Competition and Consumer Act, as well as any other implied warranties under the ASIC Act or similar consumer protection laws in the States and Territories of Australia and/or New Zealand (“Non-Excludable Guarantees”). Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter (including its respective officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the promotion.
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter (including its respective officers, employees and agents) is not responsible for and excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter’s control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoter) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter; (d) any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; or (e) use of a prize.
- The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions or who tampers with the entry process. Errors and omissions may be accepted at the Promoter's discretion. Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights. Incomplete, indecipherable, inaudible or illegible entries will be deemed invalid.
- If there is a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine the identity of the entrant.
- All phone calls are to be made to the phone number specified on the promotional material. Call cost from landline phones will not exceed 55c, however, calls from mobile and pay phones may attract a higher rate. The start time for entry into the Super Jackpot via phone is 12:00am on the start date stated. The close time for entry into the Super Jackpot via phone is 11:59pm on the date stated on the promotional material or if no deadline is stated, by the final closing date.
- If entry is via a premium SMS mechanic, the SMS number will be specified in the promotional material. The cost of the SMS will be 55c. Entrants will need premium service access to enter via SMS. Details of the SMS helpline number will also be included with the promotional material. SMS entries via the internet will be ineligible. SMS winners will be contacted by SMS and/or phone and the Promoter will record their address details so that the prize may be awarded. Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt into the Super Jackpot database and NOT at the time of transmission by the entrant.
- Online entries close at 11.59pm on the deadline date stated.
- Any cost associated with accessing any promotional website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the internet service provider used. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for late, non-directed or misdirected e-mail, for any technical hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any human error which may occur in the receipt or processing of entries. Further, the Promoter accepts no responsibility for damage to computer systems from downloading any information necessary to participate in the Super Jackpot. The Promoter (subject to relevant authorities) reserves the right to suspend, terminate or modify the Super Jackpot or the online portion of the Super Jackpot at any time if the Promoter’s online service is no longer available or is compromised by any virus, bugs, or other intervention beyond the Promoter’s control. In either of these events, prizes may be awarded based on electronic entries received prior to date of termination and mail-in entries received as of the closing date. The Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entrant who tampers with any entry process or is in any other way responsible for compromising the orderly operation of the Super Jackpot. The use of any automated software or any other mechanical or electronic means that allows an entrant to automatically enter repeatedly is prohibited and will render all entries submitted by that entrant invalid.
- Based on past Sweepstakes, the approximate odds of winning a prize with each entry are as follows: Grand Prize (with Super Bonus) – 1 in 5,322,678, Lucky Number Giveaway – 1 in 3,059,761, Thank You Prize (with Preferred Customer Bonus) – 1 in 1,784,554, Rush For Riches – 1 in 2,001,505, Tax-Free Windfall – 1 in 2,001,505, Big Bounty – 1 in 2,001,505, Prestige Payout – 1 in 2,900,180.
The Promoter is Reader’s Digest (Australia) Pty Ltd, (ABN 81000565471), 80 Bay Street, Ultimo, NSW Australia. (www.readersdigest.com.au) (www.readersdigest.co.nz). Ph: Aust 1300300162 - NZ 0800540048. Authorised under
NSW Permit No. LTPS/13/7273 VIC Permit No. 13/2035 ACT Permit No. TP13/3038 SA Permit No. T13/1533