Sweet Potato Curry with Paneer
Sweet Potato Curry with Paneer.
Photo: Reader's Digest
- Quantity: 4 SERVES
- Prep Time:
- Cooking Time:
- Nutrition Facts:Each serving contains ; • 13.5 g protein 9.5 g fat of which 1.5 g saturates 25.5 g carbohydrate8.5 g fibre 136 mg sodium 1082 kilojoules
Ingredients1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
500 g orange sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
1 tablespoon mild curry powder
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
400 g can chopped tomatoes
100 diluted salt-reduced or homemade vegetable stock
1 cup shelled fresh or frozen peas thawed if necessary
250 g paneer or firm tofu cut into 1.5 cm cubes
2 tablespoon chopped or whole fresh mint
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and garlic gently, stirring occasionally, for 4–5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then stir in the curry powder and ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, and the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 12–15 minutes until the sweet potato is tender when pierced with a knife.
4. Stir in the peas and simmer for 3 minutes, then add the diced paneer or tofu and cook for a further 2 minutes until heated thoroughly. Season to taste, scatter with the chopped mint and serve hot.
Cook's Tip • Paneer is a lightly pressed Indian cheese that is available in Indian grocery stores.