Three weeks or more before you move
- If you’re moving yourself, get boxes and begin packing non-essentials such as books, pictures and ornaments.
- Get at least three quotes for van hire.
- If you’re using a removal firm, have some firms come round to your house to quote for the job. Be sure to discuss matters such as parking problems and items that will need special handling, such as a piano or aquarium.
A week before you move
- Whether you’re using a removal firm or not, pack a box with precious items – jewellery, heirlooms, ornaments – ready to take with you in your car.
- If you’re moving yourself, consider taking out extra insurance.
On the day
- Get an early start: it always takes longer than you think.
- Make sure all boxes are labelled.
- Speak to the removal man in charge when he arrives and give instructions only to him. Keep the workers supplied with tea and biscuits.
- Pack a small box of essentials, such as a kettle, cups, tea bags and toilet paper, which you can access immediately once you’ve moved.
- Phone through all utility meter readings to the relevant companies.