TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The 106th Sweepstakes is open to residents of Australia and New Zealand aged 18 years or older only who receive or access marketing communications about this promotion via email, mail, telephone or online from the Promoter during the promotional period of 01/04/16 to 31/03/17.
- Employees (and their immediate families) of the Promoter and agencies associated with this 106th Sweepstakes are ineligible to enter. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or cousin.
- All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded. During the 106th Sweepstakes period, the Promoter may, in up to 100 distinct marketing communications, increase (up to double) the value of any monetary prizes being offered or offer a bonus prize in addition to the original prize value. If a consumer receives an increased prize value offer and/or an offer with a bonus prize, responds in accordance with the stipulated instructions, and if the consumer is drawn as the winner of the prize to which the increased prize value or a bonus prize applies, he/she will receive a prize amount which represents the original prize monetary value increased by the amount stated in the relevant marketing communication or with a bonus prize, as the case may be. The decision to increase the original prize value, or offer a bonus prize, will be totally at the discretion of the Promoter and will be indicated in the marketing communications for the relevant prize draw. If the Promoter decides to increase the value of any monetary prizes being offered or offer a bonus prize in addition to the original prize value, the total maximum potential value based on a maximum doubling and bonus prizes would then respectively be increased to up to AU$1,100,000. In the case of any unclaimed cash prize, only the original cash prize value (i.e. the cash prize without any increase or bonus) will be distributed. In the case of cash prizes where there is no increase or bonus prize offered, or the consumer has not responded in accordance with the stipulated instructions so as to be eligible for any increase or bonus prize, only the original prize value will be awarded.
- The Promoter reserves the right to offer additional opportunities for entrants to receive bonus entries. Any such opportunities (and the relevant conditions and limitations) will be announced via the corresponding promotional material. The Promoter also reserves the right to offer entries into multiple prize draws on the one occasion. Any such opportunities (and the relevant conditions and limitations) will also be announced via the corresponding promotional material.
- Multiple entries are permitted (unless otherwise stated) provided each entry is on an original entry form (if entry is via entry form) and submitted in accordance with the entry instructions on the promotional material. No facsimiles or copies permitted. Entries are not transferable. To be eligible, entries must be received by the applicable closing date and in accordance with any instructions stated in the marketing communications. Additional deadlines apply to certain prizes including the bonus prizes and increased (including double) prizes offers and, based on postal guidelines, the Promoter allows one week for delivery and one week for return in addition to any deadline stated. In some cases where it will not be necessary to return an entry form in order to participate, specific mention will be made of that fact in the promotional material. All eligible entries will qualify and will have a fair and equal chance to win the prize(s) to which they relate. Entrants must continue to be a customer of Reader’s Digest (i.e. included in the Reader’s Digest database of customers) until at least the date of the draw for the relevant prize.
- Cash prizes will be awarded in the form of a cheque or by electronic funds transfer to the winner's nominated bank account, except for the Grand Prize, where special arrangements will be made to award the prize to the winner. Cash prizes will be paid in the local currency of the winner. Prizes are not exchangeable or transferable. Prize packs awarded via the draw outlined in clause 9 (b) will be awarded in the form of merchandise, as detailed on the relevant promotional material. No prohibited prizes will be awarded. No substitutes will be offered (unless it is discovered, despite Promoter’s best efforts, that merchandise is defective - in which case it will be replaced
- In the final stages of the 106th Sweepstakes, the Promoter will conduct the draws and the winners declared will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- All times specified in these Terms and Conditions are Sydney Australian times.
All prize draws will take place at Reader´s Digest, 80 Bay Street, Ultimo, NSW 2007 at 10:30am. The prize draws will take place on the following dates:
- First Prize (with Early Bird Bonus) ……….11 April 2017
- Prize packs ………. 11 April 2017
- Thank You Prize ………. 11 April 2017
- Lucky Number Giveaway & Gold Number Jackpot ………. 11 October 2016 & 11 April 2017, respectively
- Tax-free Windfall ………. 12 July 2016
- Rapid Payout ………. 11 October 2016
- Cash Bonanza ………. 10 January 2017
- Director’s Prize ………. 11 April 2017
- All winners will be notified in writing and within two (2) business days of the relevant draw. Prize winners will also be notified by phone if they have provided their phone number upon entry. The names of the prize winners of prizes valued at over AU$250, except those who have indicated otherwise, will be published in The Australian on 25/04/17. Prize winners will also have their names published on www.readersdigest.com.au and www.readersdigest.co.nz from the business day following the prize draw (unless they have indicated otherwise).
- The Promoter may conduct such further draws at the same time and place as the relevant original draw as necessary on 11/07/17 in order to distribute any unclaimed prizes subject, however, to any written directions from a regulatory authority. Prize winners of any prize valued at over $250, except those who have indicated otherwise, will be published in The Australian on 14/07/17.
- For each of the Lucky Number Giveaway and the Gold Number Jackpot, 1,000 numbers will be randomly selected before the 106th Sweepstakes commences. Reader’s Digest’s Finance Director will retain the winning numbers in a security safe during the period prior to the prize being awarded as outlined in clause 9. On the day of award, the first winning number on the list will be released to the Prize Administrator who will verify that the participant who was issued the winning number has in fact returned it as directed and if so they will be awarded the Lucky Number Giveaway or the Gold Number Jackpot prize (as applicable). If the first drawn winning number has not been returned, the Lucky Number Giveaway or the Gold Number Jackpot prize (as applicable) will be awarded to the next number from the list of 1000 numbers which has been returned as directed. If none of the 1000 pre drawn numbers have been returned as directed another 1000 numbers will be drawn at Reader’s Digest, 80 Bay Street, Ultimo, NSW, 2007 at 10:30am on 11/10/16 (for the Lucky Number Giveaway) and at 11/04/17 (for the Gold Number Jackpot), and matched against returned numbers until a winner is found. The first drawn number which matches with a number that has been returned as directed will be declared the winner. Unless otherwise due to fraud or ineligibility under these Terms and Conditions, all Lucky Number Giveaway and the Gold Number Jackpot prize claims in excess of the advertised prize pool will be honoured. Any unclaimed Lucky Number Giveaway or the Gold Number Jackpot prize that is part of the advertised total prize pool will be awarded in the unclaimed prize draw. Lucky Number Giveaway and the Gold Number Jackpot prize materials void if stolen, forged, mutilated or tampered with in any way. Printing and other quality control errors will not invalidate an otherwise valid Lucky Number Giveaway or the Gold Number Jackpot prize claim.
- If any prize is unavailable, the Promoter, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize to the equal value and/or specification, subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority.
- Entrants are deemed to consent to the Promoter using their name, likeness, image and/or voice in the event they are a winner (including photograph, film and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting this 106th Sweepstakes (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by the Promoter.
- Subject to clause 11, if for any reason a winner does not accept or take a prize, then the prize is deemed forfeited.
- As part of the 106th Sweepstakes, the Promoter collects personal information ("PI") in order to fully conduct the Sweepstake and award the prizes, and may, for this purpose, disclose such PI to third parties, including but not limited to agents, contractors, service providers, prize suppliers and, as required, to Australian regulatory authorities. Entry is conditional on providing relevant PI.
- The various marketing communications, information on how to enter, the Official Prize List and the conditions of entry described in the various marketing communications form part of the Terms and Conditions.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions limits, excludes or modifies or purports to limit, exclude or modify the statutory consumer guarantees as provided under the Competition and Consumer Act, as well as any other implied warranties under the ASIC Act or similar consumer protection laws in the States and Territories of Australia and/or New Zealand (“Non-Excludable Guarantees”). Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter (including its respective officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the promotion.
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter (including its respective officers, employees and agents) is not responsible for and excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of:
- any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter’s control);
- any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference;
- any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoter) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter;
- any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; or (e) use of a prize; and
- Any breach whereby PI is disclosed.
- The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who the Promoter has reason to believe has breached any of these Terms and Conditions, tampered with the entry process including but not limited to tampering by way of use of techniques designed to avoid the payment of SMS costs or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardise fair and proper conduct of the promotion. Errors and omissions may be accepted at the Promoter's discretion. Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights. The Promoter's legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an offender are reserved. Incomplete, indecipherable, inaudible or illegible entries will be deemed invalid. Where purchase of a product is required for entry into a draw, return or non-payment of such product by the draw date/time, will result in that entrant being ineligible for a prize in that draw.
- If there is a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine the identity of the entrant.
- All phone calls are to be made to the phone number specified on the promotional material. Call cost from landline phones will not exceed 55c, however, calls from mobile and pay phones may attract a higher rate. The start time for entry into the 106th Sweepstakes via phone is 12:00am on the start date stated. The close time for entry into the 106th Sweepstakes via phone is 11:59pm on the date stated on the promotional material or if no deadline is stated, by the final closing date.
- If entry is via a premium SMS mechanic, the SMS number will be specified in the promotional material. The cost of the SMS will be 55c. Entrants will need premium service access to enter via SMS. Details of the SMS helpline number will also be included with the promotional material. SMS entries via the internet will be ineligible. SMS winners will be contacted by SMS and/or phone and the Promoter will record their address details so that the prize may be awarded. Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt into the 106th Sweepstakes database and NOT at the time of transmission by the entrant.
- Online entries close at 11.59pm on the deadline date stated.
- Any cost associated with accessing any promotional website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the internet service provider used. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for late, non-directed or misdirected e-mail, for any technical hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any human error which may occur in the receipt or processing of entries. Further, the Promoter accepts no responsibility for damage to computer systems from downloading any information necessary to participate in the 106th Sweepstakes. The Promoter (subject to relevant authorities) reserves the right to suspend, terminate or modify the 106th Sweepstakes or the online portion of the 106th Sweepstakes at any time if the Promoter’s online service is no longer available or is compromised by any virus, bugs, or other intervention beyond the Promoter’s control. In either of these events, prizes may be awarded based on electronic entries received prior to date of termination and mail-in entries received as of the closing date. The Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entrant who tampers with any entry process or is in any other way responsible for compromising the orderly operation of the 106th Sweepstakes. The use of any automated software or any other mechanical or electronic means that allows an entrant to automatically enter repeatedly is prohibited and will render all entries submitted by that entrant invalid.
- As a condition of being awarded a prize, each winner may be required to sign any legal documentation as and in the form required by the Promoter and/or prize suppliers in their absolute discretion, including but not limited to a legal release and indemnity form.
- Based on past Sweepstakes, the approximate odds of winning a prize with each entry are as follows: First Prize (with Early Bird Bonus) – 1 in 6,101,664, Lucky Number Giveaway – 1 in 2,488,884, Gold Number Jackpot – 1 in 2,488,884 , Thank You Prize (with Special Bonus) – 1 in, 1,950,773; Tax-Free Windfall – 1 in 138,832; Rapid Payout – 1 in 554,146; Cash Bonanza – 1 in 65,182; Director’s Prize – 1 in 124,932.
- The Promoter is Reader’s Digest (Australia) Pty Ltd, (ABN 81000565471), 80 Bay Street, Ultimo, NSW Australia. (www.readersdigest.com.au) (www.readersdigest.co.nz). Ph: Aust 1300300162 - NZ 0800540048.
Authorised under: NSW Permit No. LTPS/15/08262 ACT Permit No. TP15/07468 SA Permit No. T15/1657