Take control of your inbox and stop getting unwanted messages
Facebook is designed to bring people together, but sometimes, you’re connected with people and accounts you don’t necessarily want to interact with. They may want to talk to you, though – a lot. So, what are you supposed to do? Let these messages flood your inbox?
If someone keeps sending you tons of messages you don’t want on Facebook, you can block them from messaging you. Blocking someone on Messenger in particular can help filter out the message clutter and even protect you from falling for Facebook Messenger scams. Here’s how to block someone on Messenger and stop those annoying messages from flooding your inbox.
What does blocking someone on Messenger do?
According to Facebook, blocking someone on Messenger means they won’t be able to talk to you through Messenger or desktop Facebook chat. They can’t call you or send you messages on Messenger or in a chat going forward. Your previous messages between yourself and the person you’re blocking won’t be deleted, so you have to manually delete those messages if you don’t want them.
There could be a number of reasons why you choose to block someone on Messenger, including:
- You’re getting spam messages or Facebook messenger scams sent to you
- You’re getting harassing messages from someone
- Someone keeps trying to contact you against your wishes
How to block someone on the Messenger mobile app
If you don’t want to receive someone’s messages or calls, here’s how to block them on the Messenger mobile app:
- Open the Messenger app.
- Search for the person you want to block.
- Open up a chat with them.
- Click on their name at the top of the conversation.
- You should see a menu with an option that says “block” – click that option.
- You’ll have the choice to either block their messages and calls on the app or block someone entirely on Facebook – click on the option you want.