How to help
There are plenty of resources you can use to help preserve endangered spots like these. For starters, you could donate to UNESCO’s World Heritage Centre. UNESCO also gives citizens an option to report threats to protected sites (scroll to the bottom of this page for contact information. And if you choose to visit these spots, treat them with the utmost care! Be respectful, don’t touch anything you’re not explicitly allowed to touch, and do your part to keep the area clean.
Sign up here to get Reader’s Digest’s favourite stories straight to your inbox!
- UNESCO: “List of World Heritage in Danger”
- Budget Direct: “Reconstructing 6 UNESCO cultural sites in danger of disappearing forever”
- UN News: “Rising fears about conservation of Machu Picchu site prompt UN mission”
- The Guardian: “Kilimanjaro ice could vanish within 20 years, study suggests”
- The Week: “Why the Taj Mahal is facing closure.”
- UN News: “Historic forts on Panama’s coastline placed on List of World Heritage in Danger”
- UN News: “Everglades returns to UNESCO list of global heritage sites in danger”