- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 500 g zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) dry white wine
- sugar, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- crusty bread, to serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Cook the onions over a medium heat for 3–5 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add the zucchini, capsicum and eggplant and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are starting to soften. Add the tomatoes, remaining olive oil and half the wine.
- Cook the vegetable mixture over a very gentle heat for a further 50 minutes, or until the vegetables are thoroughly combined and softened, stirring frequently to prevent burning and gradually adding the rest of the wine.
- Season the caponata with sugar, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot or cold, with crusty bread.