- 1/2 cup (100 g) puy or small blue-green lentils
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) salt-reduced vegetable or chicken stock
- 750 g (1 1/2 lb) pumpkin (winter squash), cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (35 g) rocket (arugula)
- 5 sprigs fresh mint, leaves picked
- 1/2 cup (75 g) raw pistachios
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac
- freshly ground black pepper
- 125 g (4 oz) soft goat’s cheese
- Combine the lentils, stock and 1?2 cup (125 ml) water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, until the lentils are soft and all of the liquid has been absorbed. Allow to cool.
- While the lentils are cooking, preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7). Toss the pumpkin chunks with the olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes, until the pumpkin is soft and turning golden brown at the edges. Allow to cool.
- Combine the lentils, pumpkin, rocket, mint and pistachios in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and sumac, and season with freshly ground black pepper. Using a large spoon, gently stir to combine the ingredients.
- Serve the salad in the bowl or on a large platter, with the goat’s cheese crumbled over the top.
Preparation: 15 minutes, plus cooling
Cooking: 1 hour