Ingredients4 sheets nori, cut into quarters
2 teaspoons wasabi (Japanese horseradish)
100 g (3½ oz) sashimi-grade tuna or salmon, thinly sliced
½ small Lebanese (short) cucumber, seeded and cut into matchsticks
½ small red capsicum (bell pepper), halved, seeded and thinly sliced
½ avocado, sliced
2 tablespoons gari (pink pickled ginger)
⅓ cup (80 ml) salt-reduced shoyu (Japanese soy sauce), to serve
1¼ cups (275 g) short-grain white rice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar, plus extra for dipping
1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
½ teaspoon salt
- To make the sushi, put the rice into a large bowl, cover with water, stir and drain well. Repeat three more times until the water runs clear.
- Drain and tip the rice into a saucepan with 1½ cups (375 ml) water, cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes, or until cooked.
- Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Put the vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- Spread the cooked rice in a large non-metallic dish.
- Use a flat wooden spoon or plastic paddle to break up any lumps, then slowly pour the vinegar evenly over the top.
- Set aside, turning the rice every 5–10 minutes until cool, then cover with a damp tea towel (dish towel) until needed.
- Working with one piece of nori at a time, place it in the palm of one hand, shiny-side down.
- Dip the fingers of your other hand into a bowl of water with a splash of vinegar added, shaking off the excess – this will help to prevent the rice from sticking as you work.
- Place 1–2 tablespoons of rice in the centre of each nori and spread out to the top corner.
- To serve, lightly spread a dab of wasabi across the rice and let your guests top each piece with a selection of tuna, cucumber, capsicum, avocado and pickled ginger.
- Fold each side of the nori across the rice to form a cone – the pointy tip end of the cone can be folded underneath to hold the shape securely, if desired.
- Dip the nori in shoyu and eat immediately.
Each serving (4 pieces) provides491 kJ, 117 kcal, 7 g protein, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 g carbohydrate (3 g sugars), <1 g fibre, 600 mg sodium1