Ingredients85 g (3 oz) minced raw prawns (uncooked ground shrimp meat
85 g (3 oz) fresh crabmeat, flaked
2 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ small red capsicum (bell pepper), seeded and diced
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons low-fat thickened (whipping) cream
2 slices wholemeal (wholewheat) bread
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
spring onion (scallion), thinly sliced lengthwise, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6) and lightly grease a baking tray.
- To make the topping, place the prawn meat, crabmeat, spring onions, garlic, capsicum, lemon zest, cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoon of the cream into a bowl and mix together to make a spreadable paste.
- Season with pepper and set aside until needed. (The prawn mixture can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours.)
- Put the remaining cream and the egg in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Working with one slice of bread at a time, dip it into the egg mixture to coat, then place on the prepared tray.
- Spread the prawn and crab topping evenly over the bread.
- Lightly brush the remaining egg and cream mixture over the top and evenly sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Bake the toasts for 20–25 minutes, or until they are crisp and golden.
- Cut each slice of toast into 8 small triangles and serve immediately, while still hot, garnished with spring onion.
Each serving provides 668 kJ, 160 kcal, 12 g protein, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 g carbohydrate (2 g sugars), 2 g fibre, 185 mg sodium.