- 1 cup (150 g) plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups (125 g) original (rolled) porridge oats
- 3/4 cup (170 g) caster sugar
- 2/3 cup (60 g) desiccated coconut
- 125 g butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or treacle
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two large baking trays with baking paper. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the oats, sugar and coconut and mix well.
- Combine the butter and golden syrup with 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is well combined. Remove from the heat; stir in the bicarbonate of soda (the mixture will froth). Quickly add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Roll level tablespoons of the dough into balls and place about 5 cm apart on the trays. Flatten each biscuit slightly with your fingertips.
- Bake the biscuits for 8 minutes, then swap the trays and bake for a further 7–8 minutes, or until golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.