- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 500 g raw beetroot
- 1 litre vegetable stock, preferably homemade light or rich
- 750 g floury potatoes (e.g., russet), cut into small cubes
- ½ cup (125 ml) low–fat milk
- ⅓ cup (90 g) Greek–style yogurt
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- chopped leaves from the fennel bulb, herb fennel or parsley to garnish
- Place the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion.
- Set aside 55 g of the carrot for the mash, then chop the rest and add it to the pan.
- Mix well, cover with a lid and cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes to soften the onion.
- Place the lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Cut the bulb of fennel into quarters.
- Finely grate one quarter into the lemon juice and toss well.
- Finely grate the reserved carrot and add it to the grated fennel.
- Cover and set aside.
- Chop the remaining fennel and add to the saucepan.
- Peel and dice the beetroot, and add it to the pan.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for about 30 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring another saucepan of water to the boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan.
- Place over a low heat for about 1 minute to dry, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- Remove from the heat and set aside, covered to keep hot.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth, or purée in the pan using a hand blender.
- Return the soup to the pan, if necessary, and reheat.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- While the soup is reheating, set the pan of potatoes over a moderate heat and mash until completely smooth, gradually working in the milk.
- Stir in the yogurt, grated fennel and carrot, spring onions and seasoning to taste.
- Divide the mashed potato among 4 bowls, piling it up in the centre.
- Ladle the soup around the mash and sprinkle with chopped fennel or parsley.
- Serve at once.
Preparation: about 35 minutes
Cooking: about 50 minutes