- ¾ cup (110 g) plain flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 300 ml low–fat milk
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- ⅓ cup (50 g) cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 300 g skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 carrots, cut into thin sticks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into thin sticks
- grated zest of ½ orange
- 2⅔ cups (200 g) shredded savoy cabbage
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, plus extra for serving
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- To make the pancakes, sift the flour into a bowl and add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Mix the egg with the milk, then pour into the well.
- Gradually whisk the flour into the egg and milk to form a smooth batter.
- Use a little of the oil to lightly grease a 20 cm non–stick pancake pan, and place it on a moderate heat.
- Pour in a little of the batter and swirl it evenly across the surface, then cook for 2 minutes to form a pancake.
- Toss the pancake or flip it over with a palette knife and cook on the other side for about 30 seconds.
- Slide out onto a warm heatproof plate and cover with a sheet of baking paper.
- Cook the remaining batter in the same way, making 8 pancakes in all and stacking them up, interleaved with baking paper.
- Grease the pan with more oil between pancakes as necessary.
- When all the pancakes have been made, cover the pancake stack with foil, sealing it well.
- Place the plate over a pan of gently simmering water to keep the pancakes warm while you prepare the filling.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan.
- Add the cashew nuts and stir–fry them over a moderate heat for a few minutes, or until golden.
- Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the oil to the wok or frying pan and swirl it around, then add the chicken, garlic, ginger and chilli, if using.
- Stir–fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the carrot and celery, and stir–fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the zest and cabbage, and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle over the soy sauce and sesame oil, and stir–fry for a further 1 minute.
- Return the cashew nuts to the pan and toss to mix with the other ingredients.
- Divide the stir–fry filling among the warm pancakes and fold them over or roll up.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation: 15-20 minutes
Cooking: about 30 minutes