Ingredients4 small skinless chicken breast fillets, about 115 g each
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
25 g butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
250 g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
4 tablespoons Madeira
2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
150 ml chicken stock
2 tablespoons crème fraîche
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Put the chicken fillets between sheets of plastic wrap and pound them to flatten.
- Mix the flour with some salt and pepper, and use to coat the escalopes, shaking off the excess.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan.
- Add the escalopes, in one layer, and fry for 2–3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the onion to the pan and soften gently for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 1 minute or until softened.
- Stir in the Madeira and allow to bubble for about 2 minutes, then stir in the mustard, oregano and stock.
- Return the escalopes to the pan and simmer gently for 3–4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon the chicken and mushrooms onto a warm serving platter.
- Stir the crème fraîche into the sauce and warm through, then check the seasoning.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Each serving provides 1482 kJ, 354 kcal, 29 g protein, 21 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate (3.5 g sugars), 2.2 g fibre