- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, about 300 g in total
- 1 tablespoon mirin or sake
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- chilli powder to serve
- 10 cm piece Lebanese cucumber
- 2 carrots
- 1 red capsicum, seeded
- 2 baby cos lettuces, separated into leaves
- handful of fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- handful of fresh mint leaves, finely shredded
- 8 spring onions, halved lengthwise
- 125 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Place the chicken breasts on a heatproof plate in a steamer basket set over gently boiling water.
- Sprinkle with the mirin or sake and a little seasoning.
- Cover and steam for 10–12 minutes or until cooked.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients, except the chilli powder, in a bowl.
- Drain the cooking juices from the chicken and make up to 4 tablespoons with water.
- Add to the dressing.
- Taste and add more lemon juice, if necessary.
- Pour into a serving bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of chilli powder.
- For the salad, cut the cucumber, carrots and capsicum into thin strips that are similar in length, about 5 cm.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves at one end of a large platter.
- Scatter over the shredded basil and mint.
- Cut the chicken into strips and place on the lettuce.
- Arrange all the other salad ingredients attractively on the platter.
- Serve with the dressing in a separate bowl for people to help themselves.
Preparation: about 15 minutes, plus cooling
Cooking: 10-12 minutes