- 250 g (8 oz) skinless, boneless, chicken breast fillets, cut into 3 cm (1¼ inch) cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt–reduced soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cups (500 ml) salt–reduced chicken stock
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese five–spice
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (125 g) chopped spinach leaves, thick stems removed
- 2 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- Put the chicken, soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl and toss to coat the chicken.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Put the stock, garlic and Chinese five–spice in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the chicken and marinade to the pan together with the carrot.
- Reduce the heat to medium–low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and spring onions and simmer for a further 1 minute until the spinach has wilted.
- Divide among serving bowls and serve immediately.