- 1 red capsicum, halved and seeded
- 1 yellow capsicum, halved and seeded
- 50 g chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 170 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons tomato relish or chutney
- ¼ cup (15 g) fresh basil leaves, roughly tornblack pepper
- 1 ciabatta loaf, about 250 g
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Preheat the grill to high.
- When the grill is hot, place the capsicums, skin side up, on a baking tray and grill for 8–10 minutes, or until the flesh softens and the skin begins to blister and char.
- Transfer the capsicums to a plastic bag, seal with a tie and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- While the capsicums are cooling, cook the chorizo sausage in a frying pan for 3–4 minutes, or until the oil runs out and the sausage slices start to crisp.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Place the chorizo in a bowl and add the tomatoes, relish or chutney and basil.
- Remove the cooled capsicums from the bag and peel away their skins.
- Roughly chop the flesh and add to the bowl.
- Season with pepper to taste and mix well.
- Set aside while you prepare the toasts.
- Preheat the grill to high again.
- Cut the ciabatta across into 3 pieces, then cut each piece in half horizontally.
- Mix the oil with the garlic and brush this mixture onto the cut sides of the ciabatta pieces.
- Place them, cut side up, under the hot grill and toast for 2–3 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Top the toasted ciabatta with the pepper and chorizo mixture and serve immediately.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: about 15 minutes