- 500 g full–flavoured tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- ¼ telegraph cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 slice of bread, about 30 g, torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (500 ml) tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 red capsicum
- 4 spring onions
- ¼ telegraph cucumber
- 2 slices of bread, made into croutons
- Mix all the soup ingredients in a large bowl.
- Ladle batches of the mixture into a blender and purée until smooth.
- Pour the soup into a large clean bowl, cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Prepare the vegetables to serve with the soup towards the end of the chilling time.
- Seed and finely dice the capsicum; thinly slice the spring onions; and finely dice the cucumber.
- Place these vegetables and the croutons in separate serving dishes.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning, then ladle it into bowls.
- Serve at once, offering the accompaniments so that they can be added to taste as the soup is eaten.
Preparation: 20 minutes, plus 2 hours chilling