- 1.8 kg green tomatoes, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large green apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3?4 cup (90 g) raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1?2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (230 g) firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) cider vinegar
- Makes six 250 ml jars
- In a very large, heavy-based, non-metallic saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Over low heat, bring the mixture to a simmer and gently cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, until thickened. Stir occasionally to prevent the chutney burning; remove from the heat if the chutney begins to dry out.
- Spoon the chutney into six warm, sterilised, wide-mouthed, 250 ml jars, leaving a 6 mm space between the top of the chutney and the rim of the jar. Wipe the rims, cover the jars and process for 10 minutes in boiling water. Cool, label, date and store in a cool, dark place the chutney will be ready to eat in 4 weeks. Once a jar has been opened, store in the refrigerator.