- 500 g (1 lb) firm tofu, cut into large rectangles, about 3 cm (1¼ inch) thick
- ¼ cup (60 ml) salt–reduced soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- Cover the tofu slices with paper towels on a cutting board.
- Place another cutting board on top and weight it with a heavy pan or a couple of cans.
- Let it drain on an angle for about 2 hours to remove any excess moisture.
- In a shallow container large enough to hold the tofu in a single layer, whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar and sesame oil.
- Add the pressed tofu, turning to coat, then cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate to medium.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
- Place the tofu on the grill tray and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- To serve, cut each piece of tofu into four triangles and sprinkle with the sesame seeds, spring onions and any leftover marinade.
Preparation: 10 minutes, plus 2 hours draining and 3 hours marinating
Cooking: 10 minutes