- Choux pastry
- 3 tablespoons (60 g) butter
- ½ cup (75 g) plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup (65 g) finely grated gruyère
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Roasted ratatouille filling
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2 cm chunks
- 2 zucchini, cut into 2 cm chunks
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can borlotti beans, about 410 g, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, about 400 g
- ¼ cup (7 g) chopped fresh flat–leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- First make the roasted ratatouille.
- Drizzle the oil over the bottom of a large roasting tin, then add the eggplant, zucchini, red and green capsicums, onion and garlic.
- Toss to coat the vegetables with the oil.
- Roast for 35–40 minutes, or until golden brown and tender, turning the vegetables over after 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the choux pastry.
- Put the butter and 150 ml water in a saucepan.
- Heat gently until the butter has melted, then bring to the boil.
- As soon as the water boils, remove from the heat and quickly tip in the flour.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball.
- Set aside to cool for 2 minutes, then gradually beat in the eggs to make a smooth, stiff paste.
- Beat in the gruyère and cayenne pepper.
- Spoon the choux pastry evenly around the edge of a greased, shallow, 1.
- 2 litre round or oval ovenproof dish.
- Put into the oven (still at the same temperature) and bake for about 25 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown.
(During the baking time, do not open the oven door.)
- When the gougère is almost done, put the borlotti beans in a saucepan.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, chopped thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until heated through.
- Add the roasted vegetables to the bean mixture and stir gently to mix.
- Spoon this filling into the centre of the freshly baked gougère and serve.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: about 40 minutes