- 250 g macaroni or rigatoni
- 1 cup (155 g) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and chopped
- 250 g mushrooms, quartered if large
- ¼ cup (35 g) plain flour
- 600 ml low–fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 50 g Roquefort cheese, chopped
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup (30 g) grated mature cheddar
- ⅔ cup (55 g) fine fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until almost al dente.
- Add the peas for the final 2 minutes of cooking.
- Drain the pasta and peas well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy–based saucepan and cook the capsicum for 1–2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2–3 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour, then gradually stir in the milk and bring to the boil, stirring.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Add the mustard and Roquefort cheese with seasoning to taste (remember, though, that Roquefort is quite salty) and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Add the pasta and peas and mix in thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Mix the cheddar with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle this over the pasta mixture.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling hot.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: about 30 minutes