- ¾ cup (110 g) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 200 ml low–fat milk
- 1 tablespoon (20 g) butter, melted
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- Maple and blackberry sauce
- 1 large, ripe dessert pear
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup (50 g) pecans
- 100 g blackberries
- First make the maple and blackberry sauce.
- Cut the pear lengthwise into quarters and cut out the core, then cut the pear into fine dice.
- Put into a small heavy saucepan and add the maple syrup.
- Warm gently, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the pecans and blackberries.
- Set aside while making the waffles.
- Heat and lightly grease the waffle iron or maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the waffle batter.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and sugar into a medium–sized mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, and add the egg yolk and milk to the well.
- Gently whisk the egg yolk and milk together, then gradually whisk in the flour to make a thick, smooth batter.
- Whisk in the melted butter, then stir in the finely chopped pecans.
- Whisk the eggwhite in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Pile it on top of the batter and, using a large metal spoon, fold it in gently.
- Spoon a small ladleful (3–4 tablespoons) of batter into the centre of the hot waffle iron or maker, then close the lid tightly.
- If using a waffle iron on top of the hob, cook for about 30 seconds, then turn the waffle iron over and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Open the waffle iron: the waffle should be golden brown on both sides and should come away easily from the iron.
(If using an electric waffle maker, follow the manufacturer’s instructions – usually allow 2–3 minutes for each waffle.)
- Lift the cooked waffle from the iron using a round–bladed knife, and keep warm while cooking the rest of the waffles.
- Just before all the waffles are ready, gently warm the fruit sauce, then pour into a sauceboat or serving bowl.
- Serve with the warm waffles.
Serves 4 (MAKES 4–8 WAFFLES, DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE WAFFLE IRON)
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: about 15 minutes