- 200 g penne rigati (ridged penne)
- 2 large oranges
- 6 spring onions, cut into short fine strips
- ⅔ cup (60 g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, peel the oranges, removing all the pith.
- Holding the oranges over a bowl to catch any juice, cut out the segments from their surrounding membrane.
- Set the segments aside, and reserve the juice in the bowl.
- Place the spring onion strips in a bowl of cold water and set them aside until they curl.
- To make the dressing, add the orange zest and juice to the juices reserved from segmenting the oranges.
- Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, grated fresh ginger and seasoning to taste.
- Whisk lightly to mix.
- Drain the pasta and add to the dressing.
- Mix well, then cover and set aside to cool.
- When ready to serve, thoroughly drain the spring onions; reserve a few for garnish and add the remainder to the salad together with the orange segments, bean sprouts and toasted sesame seeds.
- Gently toss the ingredients together, then serve the salad immediately, sprinkled with the reserved spring onions.
Preparation: 15-20 minutes, plus cooling
Cooking: about 10 minutes