- 250 g pasta twists or spirals, such as cavatappi, fusilli or rotini, or other shapes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons sun–dried tomato pesto
- 1 tablespoon white or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 6 tomatoes, peeled, halved and cut into thin wedges
- 1 can tuna in brine, about 200 g, drained and roughly flaked
- 6 black olives, pitted and halved
- fresh flat–leaf parsley to garnish (optional)
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Drain well, rinse with cold water and drain again very thoroughly.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat half the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic, and fry for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the remaining oil and the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar, sun–dried tomato pesto, vinegar and capers to the onion and zucchini.
- Heat for a few seconds, stirring until the ingredients have combined to form a dressing.
- Stir in the tomatoes, then transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Add the drained pasta to the bowl, then gently mix in the tuna and olives.
- Divide among 4 plates or transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Serve garnished with some flat–leaf parsley leaves, if liked.
Preparation: 15 minutes, plus cooling
Cooking: 15 minutes