- 600 ml low–fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- Pistachio meringues
- 1 large eggwhite
- ¼ cup (55 g) caster sugar
- ¼ cup (35 g) chopped unsalted pistachios
- 250 g blueberries
- 1½ tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- Pour the milk into a medium–sized frying pan.
- Split the vanilla pod down its length with a sharp knife and scrape out the tiny black seeds into the milk.
- Cut the pod in half and add to the pan with the sugar.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a clean bowl whisk the eggwhite for the meringues to soft peaks.
- Gradually whisk in the caster sugar, then continue whisking for about 1 minute, or until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold in the pistachios.
- When the milk is just simmering, spoon on the meringue in 4 neat mounds.
- Poach gently for 5 minutes, turning once, until the meringues feel set.
- Remove with a draining spoon onto paper towel and set aside.
- Strain the milk into a heavy–based saucepan.
- Mix together the egg yolks and cornflour, then whisk into the milk.
- Cook over a very low heat for 5–7 minutes, stirring all the time, until smooth and thickened.
- Do not allow the custard to boil or it will curdle.
- If it does start to curdle, immediately strain it through a fine sieve into a clean pan.
- Remove the custard from the heat and pour it into a large, shallow serving bowl or onto 4 individual plates or dishes.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the blueberry coulis.
- Put the blueberries and icing sugar in a small saucepan with 2 teaspoons water.
- Simmer over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 4–5 minutes, or until the blueberries burst and release their juices.
- Press the mixture through a sieve and leave to cool.
- Float the meringues on the custard and drizzle a little blueberry coulis over them.
- Serve immediately, with the rest of the coulis separately.
Preparation: 35 minutes, plus at least 30 minutes chilling
Cooking: about 15 minutes