Ingredients2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 fresh red chilli, seeded and chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes, about 400 g
1 tablespoon chilli sauce
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
600 ml hot vegetable stock, preferably homemade
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 can red kidney beans, about 400 g, drained and rinsed
1 can cannellini beans, about 400 g, drained and rinsed
200 g frozen corn
salt and pepper
⅔ cup (160 g) unflavoured fromage frais or sour cream
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
fresh oregano leaves to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and chilli, and fry over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is lightly browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, the chilli sauce, ketchup, stock, parsley and oregano, with seasoning to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kidney and cannellini beans and the corn.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the fromage frais or sour cream with the snipped chives. T
- aste the chilli for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve the chilli sprinkled with the oregano leaves and offer the fromage frais mixture separately.
Each serving provides 1612 kJ, 385 kcal, 20 g protein, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 g carbohydrate (16 g sugars), 15 g fibre