- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (concentrated purée)
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh lime juice
- 500 g (1 lb) lean sirloin steak
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
- 3 cups (225 g) shredded green cabbage
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), halved, seeded and sliced
- ½ cup (15 g) chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- ⅓ cup (7 g) chopped fresh mint
- 4 bread rolls, halved
- Combine the tomato paste, ground coriander and ¼ cup (60 ml) of the lime juice in a bowl.
- Add the steak, turning to coat, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining lime juice in a large bowl with the sugar, salt and chilli flakes.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, capsicum, coriander and mint and toss well to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate to high.
- Cook the steak for 4 minutes on each side, brushing any remaining marinade over the steak halfway through, until cooked to your liking.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes, then thinly slice across the grain.
- To serve, fill each bread roll with some of the cabbage mixture and top with the steak.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation: 20 minutes, plus at least 30 minutes marinating
Cooking: 10 minutes