Ingredients500 g (1 lb) firm tofu, drained
3½ cups (300 g) bean sprouts, trimmed
4 cups (200 g) shredded Asian greens, such as bok choy
¼ cup (15 g) chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
½ cup (7 g) chopped fresh basil
freshly squeezed juice of 2 limes
2 teaspoons caster (superfine) sugar
200 g (7 oz) snow peas (mangetout)
250 g (8 oz) dried rice stick noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup (80 g) unsalted peanuts, chopped
½ telegraph (long) cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut into matchsticks
2 long green chillies, seeded and sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
6 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
⅓ cup (80 ml) salt-reduced soy sauce
finely grated zest of 2 limes
1 teaspoon sesame oil
⅓ cup (80 ml) dry sherry
- Slice the tofu into 3 cm (1¼ inch) thick slices and lay flat in a non-metallic dish.
- In a separate bowl mix together all of the marinade ingredients. Add to the tofu, turning to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the bean sprouts, Asian greens, coriander and basil in a large serving dish.
- Sprinkle with the lime juice and half of the sugar.
- Blanch the snow peas in a saucepan of boiling water, then refresh immediately under cold running water.
- Drain well and scatter over the greens.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions.
- Drain well, set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat a grill (broiler) to high.
- Drain the tofu, pouring the marinade over the noodles and toss to coat the noodles.
- Drizzle half of the olive oil over the tofu and grill for 4–6 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle over the remaining oil and sugar and turn the tofu slices over.
- Cook for a further 4 minutes, then sprinkle the peanuts over the tofu and grill for a final 2 minutes or until the peanuts are lightly toasted.
- Arrange the noodles over the Asian greens.
- Slice the tofu into 2 cm (¾ inch) thick fingers and layer over the top of the salad with the cucumber and toasted peanuts, to serve.
Each serving provides2786 kJ, 666 kcal, 28 g protein, 29 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 66 g carbohydrate (10 g sugars), 10 g fibre, 883 mg sodium.