- 2 large pita breads
- 1/2 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 400 g (14 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Fresh mint leaves, to garnish
- Herb dressing
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons chopped
- fresh mint
- Open each pita in half using a knife. Toast for 1 minute, until crisp and lightly browned. Tear into bite-sized pieces.
- To make the dressing, whisk oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in coriander and mint.
- Combine cucumber, tomatoes, spring onions and chickpeas in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing, then toss until well mixed. Just before serving, gently mix through pita pieces. Serve garnished with mint.
TIP Warm pita breads first in a toaster for 1 minute – they’ll be easier to open.
Find this and many more colourful, healthy recipes from cuisines around the world in Seasonal Salads. Available from Reader’s Digest.