- 1.5 kg pork shoulder, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 410 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1?2 cup (125 ml) tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1?4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chipotle chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- shredded lettuce, to serve
- crusty rolls, to serve
- coriander leaves, to garnish
- Place the pork, onion and garlic in the slow cooker. Combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, spices and worcestershire sauce and add to the slow cooker.
- Gently mix the ingredients until well combined. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred the pork with two forks. Divide some lettuce among the rolls. Add a generous amount of pulled pork, drizzle with the sauce and garnish with coriander. Serve with a small bowl of the remaining sauce on the side.
On the stove/In the oven
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a flameproof casserole dish. Brown the pork all over and set aside. Sauté the onion for 5 minutes, then stir in the garlic and spices and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar and worcestershire sauce, then mix the pork through.
Cover and cook over low heat or in a preheated 150°C (300°F/Gas 2) oven for 21?2 hours, or until the pork is very tender, turning the pork once during cooking. Serve as directed in step 3.
You can also cook this dish in a pressure cooker. Simply combine all the ingredients as directed in step 1. Cook under high pressure for 40 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally. Serve as directed in step 3.
Hot Pot, Crockpot, One Pot
For more delicious recipes that are a treat to eat and so easy to clean up after, see Hotpot, Crockpot, One Pot. Available from Reader’s Digest.