- 2 cups (350 g) crabmeat
- 6 French shallots (eschalots), roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 cups (750 ml) salt–reduced hot fish stock
- ⅓ cup (65 g) basmati rice
- 1½ teaspoons dried red chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) low–fat coconut milk
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, to serve
- 2 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced, to serve
- Put any brown crabmeat, the shallots, garlic and fish stock in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer the stock mixture to a saucepan over high heat and add the rice and chilli flakes.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the rice is just tender.
- Add the fish sauce, coconut milk and lime juice to the pan, stirring to combine.
- Add the white crabmeat and heat through gently.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the coriander and spring onions.