- 1–2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- grated zest of ½ orange
- 4 lean bacon slices, rind removed
- 12 button mushrooms, about 125 g in total
- 2 limes, quartered
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 6 yellow squash, halved, or 3 small zucchini, quartered
- 20 small new potatoes, about 500 g in total, cooked
- 12 slices ciabatta or baguette
- Citrus salad
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 bunch of watercress, thick stalks discarded
- 1 head of witlof, sliced
- 4 prunes, pitted and sliced, or dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Place the oil in a small bowl and add the orange zest.
- Set aside to infuse while you make the salad.
- Peel the grapefruit, removing all the pith.
- Holding the grapefruit over a large bowl to catch the juice, cut the segments from between the membranes that separate them, and drop them into the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice from the membrane before discarding it.
- Add the watercress, witlof, prunes and mint, and mix well.
- Set the salad aside.
- Cut each slice of bacon into thirds by cutting off the thin end, then cutting the remaining piece in half lengthwise.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each mushroom.
- Thread the lime quarters, bacon–wrapped mushrooms, tomatoes, squash or zucchini and cooked potatoes onto 8 metal skewers, dividing the ingredients equally between servings (allow 2 skewers to each serving).
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Brush the kebabs lightly with the orange–flavoured oil and cook under the grill for 7–10 minutes, turning once, until the bacon is golden brown and crisp.
- Toast the slices of ciabatta or baguette on one side.
- Brush the untoasted sides lightly with the remaining orange–flavoured oil, then toast until lightly browned.
- Place on warmed serving plates.
- Add a pair of kebabs to each plate, laying them across the bread slices, and spoon the salad alongside.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: about 10 minutes