- 500 g broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3–4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 large or 2 small red capsicums, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 turnip, about 150 g, cut into bite–sized chunks
- pinch of sugar
- 8 sprigs of fresh basil, stalks discarded, then finely shredded
- Cut the broccoli into small florets; trim and thinly slice the stalks.
- Heat the oil in a large non–stick frying pan or wok.
- Add the garlic, if using, the capsicum, turnip and slices of broccoli stalk.
- Sprinkle in the sugar and salt to taste.
- Cook for 2–3 minutes, turning frequently.
- Add the broccoli florets and stir.
- Pour in 6 tablespoons of water to provide a thin covering on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and cook over a fairly high heat for 3–4 minutes.
- The broccoli should be just tender and bright green.
- Stir in the basil, replace the lid and leave on the heat for a few more seconds.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: about 10 minutes