- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets, about 140 g each
- 100 g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper
- ⅔ cup (20 g) fresh basil
- 4 slices prosciutto, about 50 g in total
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Green salad
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- 125 g mixed salad leaves
- 1 bunch of watercress, large stalks discarded
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Make a slit along the length of each chicken breast and enlarge to form a pocket.
- Divide the mozzarella among the chicken breasts, sliding the slices into the pockets.
- Top the cheese with the tomato slices and garlic.
- Roughly chop a little of the basil and add a sprinkling to each pocket.
- Season each chicken breast.
- Place a large sprig of basil on each, then wrap in a slice of prosciutto, making sure the prosciutto covers the slit in the chicken.
- Tie the prosciutto securely in place with a few pieces of string on each breast.
- Heat the oil in a heavy–based frying pan (preferably one with an ovenproof handle).
- Add the chicken breasts and fry over a high heat for 3–4 minutes, turning to brown both sides.
- Transfer the pan to the oven (or transfer the chicken to an oven dish) and bake for 10–12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through; the juices should run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, make the salad.
- Put the oil and lemon juice in a bowl, season and mix well together.
- Add the salad leaves and watercress.
- Toss together, then divide among 4 serving plates.
- Remove the string from the chicken breasts.
- Cut each breast across into slices, holding it together so it keeps its shape.
- Place on the salad and garnish with the remaining basil.
Preparation: 25-30 minutes
Cooking: about 15 minutes