- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Using a piece of paper towel and the butter, lightly grease 8 of the cups in a deep, non–stick muffin tray.
- Each cup should measure 6 cm across the top and be 2.
- 5 cm deep.
- To make the popovers, sift the flour, salt and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Break the eggs into the well, add the milk and beat together with a fork.
- Using a wire whisk, gradually work the flour into the liquid to make a smooth batter that has the consistency of pouring cream.
- Pour into a large jug.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups – they should be about two–thirds full.
- With a spoon, drop a few blueberries into the batter in each cup, dividing them equally.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25–30 minutes, or until the popovers are golden brown, well risen and crisp around the edges.
- Meanwhile, make the berry salad.
- Purée 100 g of the raspberries by pressing them through a nylon sieve into a bowl.
- Add the rest of the raspberries to the bowl, together with the blueberries and strawberries.
- Sift the icing sugar over the fruit and fold gently to mix everything together.
- Unmould the popovers with the help of a round–bladed knife, and dust with the icing sugar.
- Serve hot, with the berry salad.
Serves 4 (MAKES 8 POPOVERS)
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: about 30 minutes