- 1½ tablespoons (30 g) butter
- 1 potato, cubed
- 300 g broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1 large leek, white part only, sliced
- 120 g trimmed watercress
- 1 litre vegetable stock, preferably homemade light
- 750 g potatoes, cubed
- 300 g salmon fillet
- 200 ml low–fat milk
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup (55 g) semolina
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- trimmed watercress
- finely shredded lemon zest
- First make the salmon cakes.
- Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling water and cook for 10–12 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well and mash thoroughly until smooth.
- Place the salmon in a deep frying pan.
- Add the milk and heat until barely simmering, then cover the pan and simmer gently for 3–4 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily.
- Use a slotted spoon to lift the salmon from the milk.
- Reserve the milk.
- Flake the salmon, discarding any bones and skin, then add it to the mashed potatoes.
- Mix in the spring onions, dill, lemon zest and seasoning to taste.
- Place the semolina on a large plate.
- Shape the salmon mixture into 20 small balls, the size of golf balls, then flatten them into neat patties, coating them lightly on both sides with semolina as they are shaped.
- Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- To make the soup, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the potato, broccoli and leek and cook gently for about 10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the watercress.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover the pan.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Cool the soup slightly, then purée it in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan.
- Stir in the milk used to cook the fish and seasoning to taste.
- Reheat gently until simmering.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan and cook half of the cakes for 3–4 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Heat the remaining oil and cook the remaining cakes.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and float 2–3 salmon cakes in each one.
- Garnish with watercress and lemon zest, and serve with the remaining salmon cakes.
Preparation: about 30 minutes
Cooking: about 40 minutes